Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never prior to have so numerous new techniques and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and pain-free method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by fancy advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the special info laser.
3. Choose a doctor who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional does not understand can injure you.
Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the danger of getting less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat different outcome. The finest surgeon worldwide can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of millions of people around the globe.